March 25, 2009
Raudz Opens in Kelowna
(Directly from the Press Release.)
Spring is a time of rebirth and renewal, and Chef Rod Butters and Audrey Surrao welcomed the season with the opening of their latest restaurant brainchild, RauDZ Regional Table.
Just as Rod and Audrey blended their talents in their successful Fresco venture, the two partners have again combined their complimentary skills and their names to create
Fresh, warm, seasonal, and comfortable can certainly describe spring but can also apply to the new RauDZ space and menu. Chef Butters has created an impressive menu of share plates, appetizers, and unique twists on classic recipes like Tuna Casserole, Vanilla/ Raspberry Milkshake and Fish & Chips. As with their former restaurant, Fresco, the menu focuses on fresh, local, seasonal and organic produce with an amazing 80% regionally based. Butters feels so strongly that the producers are a major ingredient in the success of his menu, their portraits and colourful produce are featured as artwork around the entire restaurant. Guests can literally feel a connection to the food on their plate with these photographs.
RauDZ Liquid Chefs host guests at the expansive 28-foot, 15 seat bar where you can create your own fruit martini from fresh fruit purees made in house, enjoy a locally crafted beer or a glass of award winning Okanagan wine.
The focal point of the restaurant is a beautiful 21-foot table in reclaimed Midnight Heart Pine. This table was custom made by local woodworker, Will Brundula, and features no nails or screws but uses a mortise, dowel and tenon construction. The table sits on a trestle base reminiscent of the Kettle Valley Railway trestles. Comfortable banquettes and booths surround the entire space that features the brick from the original 106 year old heritage building.
Opening March 20, 2008, RauDZ Regional Table is a reincarnation of the four diamond, multi award winning fine dining restaurant Fresco, located in the heart of downtown Kelowna, BC. After a successful eight years, co-owners Chef Rod Butters and Audrey Surrao decided to realize their dream of opening a new contemporary restaurant filled with friends and neighbours enjoying fresh local dishes in a comfortable relaxed space. Just as Rod and Audrey have blended their talents in the successful Fresco venture, RauDZ, a creative amalgamation of the letters in their names, is their latest brainchild.
• available for private parties
• no reservations required
• street parking available, with the Chapman Parkade located less than ½ block
ABOUT OUR FOOD
RauDZ Regional Table is committed to working in partnership with regional farmers, ranchers and artisans. We are leaders in the use of organic, sustainable and naturally- raised ingredients, while concentrating on pure, simple flavours with a fun presentation.
A number of signature menu items from the popular Fresco menu are still available such as the crab cappuccino and the arctic char while Chef Butters also digs into another old favourite with his BLT, grilled salmon, pancetta, fig anise and fries from his Shangri-la hotel days. All of Chef Butters signature dishes are designated with his rjb logo.
• We use seasonal, locally grown, organic produce whenever possible with 80% regional
• Our seafood is wild or sustainably harvested
• We custom create our own jams, tartar sauces, mayonnaise, relishes and pickles.
• We use only free range eggs
• We make our own ice cream and sorbets
• The fries at RauDZ have the distinction of not being cooked in oil but are prepared in a high tech environmentally friendly infared oven
A sampling of featured menu offerings include:
• Tuna Casserole, seared tuna, maccheroni pasta, smoked tuna and celeriac cream $16
• Hot Dog, Strasbourg-France inspired, merguez sausage, cabbage, fries $12
• Calamari, sundried olive stuffing, roasted cauliflower salad $11
• Bison Pot Roast (Olsen’s High Country Ranch), new potatoes & spring vegetables $23
All the kitchen staff at RauDZ are active members of the Canadian Culinary Federation.
Open seven days a week from 4:30 pm
The dining room accommodates up to 90 guests. There are comfortable and cosy banquettes and booths lining the restaurant. RauDZ also features a 21-foot long table constructed of reclaimed heartwood pine for large parties or informal dining with friends and neighbours. The expansive 28-foot bar also seats 15.
RauDZ Regional Table is committed to working in partnership with regional farmers, ranchers and artisans. They are leaders in the use of organic, sustainable and naturally raised ingredients and concentrate on pure, simple flavours with a fun presentation.
RauDZ wine list is chosen by co-owner and WSET graduate, Audrey Surrao with a large emphasis on regional wines from throughout the Okanagan Valley.
• RauDZ wine cellar features over 110 labels on the list from the Okanagan neighbourhood and around the world
• Wines are reasonably priced from $33 with many in the $33 - $50 price range.
B.C. Restaurant Hall of Fame member, Chef Rod Butters is a strong believer of using the freshest, local ingredients in his menus, Rod’s creativity is challenged by the incredible products he finds at his doorstep in the Okanagan. Rod describes it as a Chef’s ultimate playground. Fresh organically grown fruit, vegetables and herbs, free range pork, poultry and game have been here all the time…just waiting for someone like Rod to come along and provide a culinary experience second to none.
• Rod is an active member of the Canadian Culinary Foundation and has earned the WCC designation recognizing international culinary excellence from the World Association of Chefs Societies.
Unique to RauDZ a trio of Liquid Chefs are on hand to create signature martinis using fresh fruit purees created from Okanagan Fruit.
• fresh fruit puree martinis can be custom created by the guest
• locally crafted beers are on tap and by the bottle
• extensive list of both premium and top shelf spirits are available
• RauDZ is located in a 106-year-old heritage brick building with much of the brick exposed within the dining room.
• RauDZ table is 21-feet in length in reclaimed Midnight Heart Pine. This wood is extremely strong and has been used for centuries with it’s most famous construction being the Brooklyn Bridge. This gleaming wood table sits on a trestle base reminiscent of the Kettle Valley trestles. The table features no nails or screws but uses a mortise, dowel and tenon construction. The table was partially assembled on site with co-owner Audrey Surrao hammering in the final dowel. This work of art table was created by local woodworker, Will Brundula of Heartland Millworks.
• The bar is 28 in length constructed of a solid fir bar top from Vancouver Island.
• Photographic artwork adorning the walls features RauDZ produce suppliers and some of their world-class fruits, vegetables, fish, bread and wine. Each portrait represents a localfarmer or producer who contributed to the success of the regionally focused creative menu of Chef Rod Butters. Photos were taken by local photographer, David McIlvride.
• Enjoy a chalkboard surrounding the glassed in kitchen filled with favourite quotes from the stars of politics, sports and film.
• Fully glassed exhibition kitchen
• Décor designed by local designer, Jorin Wolf Design
The RauDZ team
Rod Butters- Chef and Co-owner
Audrey Surrao- WSET Graduate and Co-owner
James Hanna- Chef de Cuisine
Chef Rod Butters
It was an injured arm that got Rod Butters wielding a knife. Instead of heading off on a baseball scholarship in America, Rod's professional sports ambitions were cut short. He was forced to reflect on what appealed to him most in his life, to what he was drawn from a very young age. And that was cooking. Even at seven years old his favorite thing to do was to get up before anyone else and make a pancake breakfast for his family.
Some career highlights include the Four Seasons Hotel group - Toronto & Vancouver, Chateau Whistler Resort opening team and Pacific Palisades Hotel Vancouver. Rod then went on to open the world famous Wickaninnish Inn, Tofino as Chef de Cuisine in 1996. His innovative cuisine and high service standards quickly helped the Inn's Pointe Restaurant attain the internationally recognized Relais & Chateaux designation.
After a year-long journey around the world in 2000, he returned home to BC to share his culinary experiences and open Fresco Restaurant & Lounge in Kelowna. As Chef /Proprietor, Rod has been instrumental in promoting the growth of culinary tourism in the Okanagan.
The importance of Rod's commitment to establishing regional BC cuisine has earned him international respect. Long before it became "trendy" to serve regional food, Rod has always been committed to this effort. It’s because of this and his talents as a chef “at the top of his game” that in 2007 his peers inducted Rod into the B.C. Restaurant Hall of Fame.
In the words of food and arts critic Jurgen Gothe, "Butters is the consummate Canadian-born, Canadian-trained, Canadian chef, the kind that will eventually… create what we'll come to call Canadian cuisine."
Rod is a member of the Canadian Culinary Foundation and has earned the WCC designation recognizing international culinary excellence from the World Association of Chefs Societies.